Written by John Guarnieri
Today, Vinny Appice checked in with Fallen Blue and answered some questions for us. Having played drums with the mighty Dio, Heaven & Hell, Black Sabbath, and his new killer band, Kill Devil Hill, Vinny is a true icon. Fallen Blue will definately be working with Mr. Appice in the future.
1. How do you prepare for your 'Drum Wars' shows with your brother Carmine? Do you have something in your mind, or do you just feed off of your brother?
We usually rehearse a few days prior, have a set list of what we are going to play. As far as warm up as with any gig just warmup on the pad for 10 minutes.
2. Having played with Ronnie James Dio on some of the greatest metal albums, what do you think it is about his legacy that will live on forever?
Yep, RJ was the best, no one will sing like he did and he will never be forgotten because he loved his fans and took the time to meet them so those fans will never forget. His music and vocals touched everyone.
3. What advice do you have for up and coming drummers? Are there any right now that you are currently following?
As for any musician always believe in yourself and play from the heart. Lessons and studying your instrument is great to a point. Then your inner must take over and you play from your feelings. Listen to different kinds of music and always keep an ear open to learn.
4. Do you have any police stories you would like to share while you were on the road?
We played Philly at the old Tower Theater with Sabbath in 1992. We had the whole band in one old limo driving to the gig. Well about 2 blocks from the gig the limo stalled and we were stuck. Word got out and next thing you know we had 5 policeman pushing the limo 2 blocks and rolling us up to the stage door. When we opened the door to get out there was a crowd and everyone started cheering. Very funny!
5. How did you current band come up with its name, Kill Devil Hill? What are your goals for the band as you move forward?
We liked the way it sounded and the words kinda fit the music we play. I see this as a long term band with lots of music to release, all while having a great time doing it. Its always been my dream to have my own kick ass band.
7. Do you have one drum performance that stands out the most in your mind?
Too many to remember. I do remember when things go wrong like a broken bass drum head in the middle of a show etc.
8. What is some charity work you have been involved with in the past?
Children Of The Night along with Ronnie. Always like to be donate to Toys For Tots at Christmas time etc.