Written by John Guarnieri
It was a pleasure of ours to interview Derek Davis, lead singer of the band Babylon A.D. Derek has also just released his new solo ablum, ReVolt, which is an amazing record that ecompasses a wide range of emotions, as well as Derek's vintage rockin' metal pipes. We salute you, Derek, for your support of Fallen Blue!
1. Is your new album, 'Re-Volt' your musical revolution? What are your goals for this record?
I feel I’ve come along way with my writing, singing and producing. So yes it is my Revolution. My goals are to spread this revolution of mine across the nation.
2. Did you write any of the new songs off this new album with Babylon A.D. in mind? Are you always writing music?
Not really, as I write what I feel at the moment – That’s why there are so many different types of songs on the record. And yes, I am always writing.
3. 'ReVolt' encompasses such a wide range of emotions: love, betrayal, lust, isolation, etc. What song on this album do you feel the greatest connection to?
That’s hard because each one is very unique. The heavier tunes like Tied Down and Hammered, I Love You to Death, Re-Volt, Judas Kiss – I love Playing live. And the ballads, Troubadour, The Promise and Desperate are really like moving picture landscapes of emotion. They are very calming after the brutal beating of the heavy tunes.
4. What are your 2012 plans for touring? Will you hit the road with Babylon A.D. as well as solo dates?
Well that’s all up in the air I just take one day at a time. I’m pretty busy and so are the rest of the guys in B.A.D.
5. What was your inspiration for the track, "Judas Kiss"?
Ever been stabbed in the back by a good friend? They obviously need an ass kicking!
6. How have you been able to maintain your very distinct vocal ability, while many of the singers from the 80s have struggled, you have surged, and sound even better than ever.
Thank you, I feel maybe I’ve just matured a little like an old fine wine. That and a couple shots of Honey Jack!
7. What songs off of 'Re-Volt' are you most looking forward to performing live? What artists make up the rest of your solo band?
Really all of them, and we will also do some B.A.D too. My band consist of James Pacheco –the drummer for B.A.D and his brother Eric who co-wrote a couple songs on the album and also played in B.A.D, when Rob our original bass player quit. And a very good guitarist, Loren Turner. He smokes!
8. Do you have any police stories you would like to share from your time on the road?
B.A.D and our crew, with our manager, spent the night once in a Chicago jail onChristmas eve. I leave it at that.
For more information on Derek Davis, be sure to head over to: http://www.derekdavismusic.com/